Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting Data From Inadvertent Action

Hi Chip,

Please see my responses to your concerns below. Let me know if you need further clarification or have other questions.

Best regards,

Bob Borysko
    Vice President Programming and Development
    DZS Software Solutions, Inc.
    1661 Route 22 West,
    Bound Brook, NJ 08805-1258
    www.clinplus.com

Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:32 PM
    To: Support
    Subject: Screen Design

We use ClinPlus in our organization. I do not configure or enter data into the system. Others do that. I use the data after export from ClinPlus. In so doing, I find problems with the data that are created in entering the data into ClinPlus. Our configuration personnel tell me that certain features that seem essential to a clinical trials system are lacking. Since these features are common to database systems, I find this hard to believe, so I am going to the source. Here are my questions:

1. Can a data column be protected so that only supervisory personnel can change values in that column? This is essential to make sure data entry personnel cannot inadvertently change things like the patient identification number.

Individual columns can be locked using the Access attribute in data entry screens. Key fields such as PatientNumber and InvestigatorNumber cannot be edited from the data entry screens. These are edited from the Patient/Enrollment Editor. Access to this screen is limited by a security task. If a user has privileges to access this screen then they have the ability to change patient numbers as is required from time to time. The recordid of the altered enrollment data remains static to preserve links to clinical data.

I believe the problem here is that users are selecting a patient in the Patient/Enrollment editor then, thinking they are adding new patient, type in the new patient number thereby inadvertently changing the selected patient number. An enhancement to warn users of the pending change has been requested (by the good folks at IDCRP) and already implemented in the development system (to be Version 3.4).

2. Can records in a table be protected so that only supervisory personnel can delete them or prevent deletion at all? This is essential so that data entry personnel cannot inadvertently delete enrollment records creating unenrolled patients. If desired, all tables should be configurable so that data columns like patient identification numbers are defined as foreign keys so that you cannot delete a record that has foreign keys pointing to it in other tables. This would prevent entering data on a patient who does not already exist in another table like an enrollment table and the enrollment table must be protected to prevent unintentional deletions or key field changes.

Yes, Delete privileges are assigned as a security task.

If an enrollment record is linked to other clinical data records then the system will prevent the deletion of the enrollment record even if the user has delete privileges.

Please add these questions and answers to your FAQ on the Web.

Chip

William P Bradley
    Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine
    Infectious Disease Clinical Research Program (IDCRP)
    San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC)
    cbradley@idcrp.org
    210-916-3794
    318-390-2909
    210-681-5312
Working...
X